For workers coming to Singapore to work on a temporary basis, a Miscellaneous Work Pass is issued. This pass is valid for a maximum period of 60 days from date of issue and the recipient is eligible to indulge in the following activities:

  • Organize seminars, conferences, workshops and demonstrations.
  • Religious discourses, sermons, speeches on communities, causes or politics.
  • Media, including reporters for covering specific story related to Singapore, though not sponsored by the Government of Singapore.

Foreigners who come to Singapore for performing in night clubs, discos, lounges, pubs, inns, restaurants, hotels, resorts, country clubs, golf clubs etc are not eligible for Miscellaneous Work Pass.

Documents required along with the requisite information

  • Application with particulars duly filled in.
  • The sponsor letter issued by the organization registered in Singapore and involved in religious activities, along with the seal of the organization, and the signature of an authorized person.
  • A brief synopsis of the proposed speech (if coming for that purpose) that is going to be delivered during the seminar, conference, workshop or religious discourse, causes or politics.
  • Affiliation details of the company to which the person is applying.
  • A recent passport size photo ( not older than 3 months from date of application)
  • Personal information about the applicant as it appears in the travel documents (passport, visa etc)

All documents must be presented in neatly typed format in English and should be clear and legible. Wherever documents are in a language other than English, translated copies from a certified translator or High commissioner, embassy or notary public need to be attached in the prescribed format. Applicants are also required to pay the prescribed fees for the pass.

Work Permit for Performing Artistes

Performing Artistes Pass is granted to qualified artistes to render performances at any of the venues the need to have Public Entertainment License, which are kept open to the public for a minimum of 6 hours per day. The pass that is issued is valid for a period of 6 months from date of issue, and cannot be renewed. A person who has been granted a Performing Artistes Work Pass cannot request for another pass in the same category, or any other category for a period of 1 year from date of issue of the Work Pass. The performing artistes are free to perform at bars, discos, night clubs, pubs, inns, hotels, resorts, private clubs, restaurants or lounges.

The issuing of Performing Artistes Pass is at the sole discretion of the issuing authority, which makes its decision on a case to case basis. There is also a cap on the number of foreign performing artistes that a Public Entertainment License holding outlet can employ. Moreover, it is mandatory for these outlets to employ a local person as well in the ratio of 1 local worker for every 8 foreign artistes they sign up a contract with. For licensed outlets with a larger capacity, the cap is set at 12 performing artistes.

Additionally, the employer needs to pay $400 for the first 8 artistes they sign up, and for the subsequent ninth and more, they need to pay a fee of $750.