Citizens of foreign countries who desire to work in Singapore need to apply for a Personalized Employment Pass (PEP). The PEP is basically meant to attract exceptional talent and people with extraordinary skills to work in Singapore. The validity of the pass is for a period of 3 years and cannot be renewed thereafter.
PEP work pass is quite flexible and any person holding PEP can seek employment in multiple sectors. PEP holders are eligible to bring along their parents, whereas other work pass terms do not permit this. Only candidates already holding a work pass issued by the Government of Singapore are eligible for PEP, and also from candidates who are seeking employment in Singapore for the first time.
Additional Benefits of PEP Include:
- Permission to live in Singapore for a period of 6 months without any employment.
- Work in any of the sectors, provided they are not barred for foreigners.
- No permission or prior notice is required to switch employers.
- Permission to bring legal spouse, children and parents.
Restrictions for PEP work pass holders:
- Should have been drawing a minimum of $8,000 per month in the jobs held abroad earlier for a minimum period of 6 months while applying for the current job.
- The annual earnings should not be less than $144,000 in Singapore.
- While holding the PEP currently, they cannot indulge in any business activities or entrepreneurial ventures.
- They cannot be holding a work pass under a sponsorship program.
PEP has another restriction where the government specifically bars foreigners from indulging in any freelance activities or seeking employment in any overseas companies that is not registered in Singapore. They also cannot work as journalists, editors, sub-editors, or producers for any media in Singapore.
Duties and obligations prescribed for PEP work pass holders
- Keep the Ministry of Manpower (MOM), Government of Singapore informed about the employment status (employer) of the PEP work pass holder.
- Annual salary of the PEP work pass holder needs to be declared within 30 days of each calendar year.
- Furnish the local contact address and phone number to the MOM.
Documents to be Furnished
- All original educational certificates of the job seeker.
- Contract of current employment with employer in Singapore.
- New Contract with an employer in Singapore though not working currently.
- Track record, including job history giving details likes last salary drawn along with bank statement.
- Tax returns statements with declarations.
- Passport and other related travel documents like visa etc.
All documents must be presented in neatly typed format in English and should be clear and legible. Wherever documents are in a language other than English, translated copies need to be attached in the prescribed format. PEP job seekers are required to pay all prescribed fees as per the existing rules.